Monday, May 2, 2016

New Malko Novel--Lord of the Swallows

There's a new Gerard de Villiers novel on the shelves, Lord of the Swallows, yet another in the long-running Malko Linge series.

Of course I bought it. I've written of de Villiers before and I think I'm developing a real love-hate relationship with the late author.

Here's what you can expect in a Malko novel: thin writing, thin plot, thin characterization, lots of sex, a little action, and endings that fizzle like a sparkler running out of gas.

But, dammit, I read every single word.

Those of us in the States who don't read French are only getting translations, but they're very consistent, so I have to assume his natural style is somehow coming through. I may have to learn French so I can read the other books, actually.

I've just started Lord of the Swallows, which deals with Russian sleeper agents in the U.S., and find myself scratching my head. Why am I reading this? What happens next???? Somehow, it works. Somehow, de Villiers keeps you turning the pages. I'm going to stop wondering why and just enjoy the ride.

By the way, if you're a real glutton for punishment, go over to YouTube and find the trailers and clips for the Malko movies, which look even trashier than the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment