Monday, March 5, 2018

The Thrillers of Ethan Jones

I have a treat for you this time. Ethan Jones has written a terrific series of spy thrillers featuring such thrilling protagonists as Justin Hall, Carrie O'Connor, Jennifer Morgan, and, now, Javin Pierce, aka The Corrector.


You can check out Ethan's Amazon author page here, which lists his impressive body of work.

I invited Ethan by to tell us more about his books and his approach to writing, and why brain surgery is easier than writing a book.

Brian Drake: Tell us about your new book. Is this the start of a new series?

Ethan Jones: The Corrector is the start of a new series. When covert operations go wrong, the Canadian Intelligence Service sends in . . . The Corrector.

Enter Javin Pierce.

Javin comes in when no one else can. With his calm, well-thought manner he’s able to pull off jobs where others have failed. Javin is always two steps ahead, which is essential.

In The Corrector, he’s sent to Istanbul, Turkey, to retrieve a flash drive containing scandals that could topple world governments and plunge Europe into absolute chaos if they do not retrieve it in time. But, before even getting started, Javin and his less-than-trusted partner, Claudia, must deal with a devious terrorist plot and its aftermath, all without leaving a trace . . .

BD: After so many books under your belt, what have you learned about yourself as a writer?

EJ: I’ve learned to trust my gut on how and where the story is going. I’ve also learned to let the characters and their personality guide me and the plot lines. The characters can tell us, writers, so much if we can only listen.

BD: Tell us about Justin Hall. What has reader reaction been like?

EJ: Most readers love Justin. He comes across as firm, determined, but also has a kind side. I wanted to make him human, not superman. He has doubts, fears, he loves and hates like all of us. There are some readers who dislike Justin and my style of writing, but I’m okay with that. The majority of my readers still love him, and that’s all that matters.

BD: Are you able to find a balance between writing and marketing?  If so, how? If not, how are you trying to do that?

EJ: If I can only do one thing a day, that’s writing. I aim for 1000 words, which is a bit over three pages, and on most days, I can hit that target. Once I’ve done that, I switch to marketing. Many people are scared by the word “marketing,” but as long as I’m doing something to get the word out about my book, that’s marketing. I usually do that in the afternoon or in the evening, depending on the day.

BD: What is something, other than reading great books, that fuels your imagination for your own stories?

EJ: I like to read the news, especially from controversial media, which have some pretty far-fetched stories that are great for my spy fiction genre. I also like to watch documentaries, again mostly from local media of the areas where I’m setting my stories, so that I can get that authentic feel for the culture, the geo-politics, and a good sense of what’s going on in that part of the world.

BD: After being in the business for so long, do you find your level of enthusiasm has increased, or remained the same, from when you started? Did you ever consider an easier line of work, such as brain surgery?

EJ: You’re right, brain surgery is easier. You work on two models that never change . . . Joking aside, my level of enthusiasm has increased. Now that I have written 21 books and published 18, well, 19 if you include The Corrector, I know I can do this and give my readers books they love.

BD: What else would you like to add?

EJ: Thanks for the opportunity. Readers can check out my books for free if they join my exclusive readers club at http://eepurl.com/IpOm5

No comments:

Post a Comment